Saturday, May 16, 2009

And We're Back

We had a WONDERFUL time on our cruise. I have already downloaded most of the pictures and hope to edit and upload tomorrow.

Most importantly of all, the Irishman made it through immigration. We did everything they told us to before he left the country and had all our paperwork sorted, but it is still a bit nerve-wrecking. The one-year extension on his visa is all good.

The best part?

I was the one that almost got detained.

Yep. We had the one officer who seemed to be a bit of a germaphope was wearing gloves. As we walked up, I sneezed (or maybe it was a cough, I can't even remember!). It was a fluke thing, but he gave me the third degree.

Are you feeling okay?
Have you been sick for long?
Do you feel like you might have the flu?

Uh, oh.

I saw right away where he was going with this. My way out?

I answered with, "I'm pregnant. It makes you do all kinds of things."

He was a typical man - didn't push it any further. He did however go through all the Irishman's paperwork and then ask how far along I was. When I said I am about 4 months* he said, "Good, then I do not have to feel too bad about asking the two of you to wait over here."

Not what we wanted to hear!

Thankfully "over here" was a couple of nice chairs in a waiting area. The nice people with the immigration services had to review the Irishman's paperwork a little more carefully. We waited sat there sweating and fearing the worst for about 10 minutes before they returned his passport and sent us on our way.

After a train ride and a couple of taxis we were home and all this morning by 9:30. Not too shabby! We have started laundry and the grocery list. It is going to be rough getting back into the swing of things. It is a good thing we have the weekend to recover!

*Side note, the Irishman pointed out that I am about 15 weeks...but when the immigration officer asked, I said the first thing that came into my head! Stress will do that to you!

4 comments:

MN Mom said...

Well, thank goodness that immigration didn't keep the Irishman...after all a baby needs his daddy!
Glad you had fun-can't wait to view photos.

Heather said...

Glad to hear that both of you were allowed back in! Is the Irishman going to apply to dual citizenship, or just keep getting his visa renewed?

Kellie said...

We just got back from vacation, too. Sounds like y'all had fun! I look forward to the pictures:)

Jenny said...

The Irishman and I are both stubborn on our citizenship. We both want to keep the one we were born with, so he has a green card. (Although they don't call it a green card any more!)