Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Crop-A-Dile

When I was in Houston earlier this year I mentioned to my mom that I was looking for a way to recycle used CDs. I had lots of them at home but could not find a use for them.

My mom, being my mom, did not skip a beat. She went digging through her bookcases and showed me multiple examples of CD projects. She's good like that.

I LOVED the look of the CD scrapbooks. They used an old CD as the pages of the book. You can cover the disc with paper and then add your photos and embellishments. You make a small hole in each disc and then attach a ring or ribbon to connect the pages.

At a planning meeting a few months ago I suggested we use the CD idea to make books with our third graders. My team loved the idea and we started collecting old CDs.

Now we are making planet books. That means each book needs one disc for each planet plus a cover. We also need one book for each of 60 students. Thank goodness Pluto was demoted!

We have collected over 600 discs. Today was the day I decided to figure out how exactly to make a small hole in each of the 600 old cds. The book my mom had recommended using an awl. I would gladly make one book using and awl, but 600 discs with an awl is more than I could handle. So, I did what any gal in my position would have done.

I went to Grandpa.

We played with power tools this morning only to discover that the drill melts the disc. You can do a couple that way, but not 600. Grandpa made a few more suggestions of things I could try, and then I did the second thing any gal would do in this situation.

I called my mommy.

She suggested the Crop-A-Dile. I headed out to Michael's and when I got there I found an ad left behind in the parking lot with a 50% off coupon. I saved $20. That's the Holy Spirit in action, y'all!

I just tried it out and yes, the Crop-A-Dile did what the power tools failed to do. I have a sample book ready to go.

The university students assigned to my classroom are about to meet 600 of my closest roundest friends and my new pal the Crop-A-Dile.

P.S. How cute are these? I think I just found a new use for my Crop-A-Dile!

No comments: