Sunday, May 9, 2010

On Motherhood

A year ago today...

I was on a cruise in the middle of the ocean.
I was expecting my first child and was excited...
and hoping not to be sick during my "accidental babymoon."

I'd planned a surprise for my mom.

I felt like I had a baby bump, but had no idea how much bigger that bump was about to get. My reading list included What to Expect When You Are Expecting and The Idiot's Guide to Pregnancy and Childbirth. I was researching cribs and paint colors.

I was thinking about mothers and grandmothers and about becoming a mom myself.



This year...

I have a beautiful daughter asleep in her well-researched crib.

I have been so busy with work and the baby I am dreaming of a cruise....but am happy to paddle in the pool at home with my little family.

I plan to use the web cam to talk with my mom so that she can watch her granddaughter coo and smile. I know that I will swell with joy when she does so.

My current reading list includes Super Baby Food and Save Our Sleep. I am researching car seats and baby gates.

I am thinking about mothers and grandmothers and how lucky I am to have their love and support just a phone call away.

What a difference a year makes!

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Yesterday the Irishman took us out for a Tex Mex Mother's Day lunch.
The fajitas, sopapillas, and a happy sleeping baby - BLISS!!!

This morning he and Caitlin greeted me with cards and a CD I'm mentioned in passing that I wanted. He ordered a bag for me to replace my old one...in a style called "Morgan" none the less!

Thanks to Krystyn's Mommy and Me Mondays he had enough pictures to put together a Mommy and Me book on Shutterfly. It hasn't arrived yet, but I got to preview it online. It is fantastic!

We are heading to my grandparents' house for brunch this morning after Mass. Good food and family...it doesn't get any better than that!

The Irishman told me he wanted to make this the best Mother's Day ever. I sarcastically responded that as my first Mother's Day there wasn't much to compare it to...but seriously? He has made it perfect.

I'm one lucky Momma!
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Melissa B. said...

Happy Mommy's Day! Your first? Here's to many, many more...

Unknown said...

Sounds like a beautiful day for a beautiful Momma! And your first of many good ones, I'm guessing!

LOVE the Shutterfly book idea - your hubs did GOOD! :)
(I think I'll make a 'manly' one for my husband for his office of the kids - thanks for the idea!)

Krystyn @ Really, Are You Serious? said...

Awwww...a book. What a great gift!

And, I know you had a fabulous Mother's Day!