Friday, May 14, 2010

PSF: To Grandmother's Yard We Go

My grandparents' backyard is a special place.

I remember climbing the then-relatively-small mango tree during a visit in the late 80s. I remember sneaking into the neighbor's yard for key limes that Grandma Betty turned into a yummy pie. I remember my brother helping Grandpa Boo build the fence during a visit when we were in college.

I remember an impromptu BBQ we had in the destroyed yard after Hurricane Wilma when the Irishman and I went to check on the house. Branches of the mango tree as big as the tree-of-old we used to climb littered the patio. My grandparents had been out of town, so we invited some friends (who were also without electricity) to join us as we cleaned the yard and then used Grandpa's grill to cook all the food from three life-less freezers before it went bad. We were just telling stories about the family reunion of 1997...I could go on and on!

Our climbing days behind us, now we all enjoy each other's company sitting in patio chairs after a another great meal that has left us too stuffed to move. My grandmother has a green thumb like no one else. She could plant a tire and make it grow! Her patio is a magical place. Shaded and tropical with the fountain bubbling, it FEELS like Florida.


On Mother's Day the Irishman, Caitlin, and I joined one of my uncles and the local cousins at my grandparents' house. As expected, we enjoyed sitting on the patio after dinner discussing the past, politics, jobs, Facebooks, and family members not present. ("Well I saw on Facebook that so-and-so was doing such-and-such...")



Caitlin entertained herself with her feet...and munched on her Daddy's arm...and wiggled around on a blanket under the mango tree as we all watched for falling fruit. It was a lovely afternoon...and was followed by birthday cake for my cousin's little son. It doesn't get better than that!

These are the memories to cherish.




And I'm sure Caitlin will be climbing that mango tree before we know it!


For more PSF visit:
PhotoStory Friday
Hosted by Cecily and Lolli


Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Tabitha Blue said...

I'm sure she will be climbing, they grow so fast!! Her yard sounds like a magical place... especially for someone who lives in much colder climates. A mango tree in the yard, wonderful!!! That would never happen here :)

~Tabitha

Chris said...

Man she's cute!

I wish my feet were that entertaining :)

Carrie and Troy Keiser said...

She is a doll, especially love those shots of her munching her toes!
What wonderful memories you have of your grandparents backyard, and how nice that your daughter will make memories there too.