Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Little Women's Christmas

I'd planned to post about our "Irish" Christmas today on the 12th day of Christmas, but the guest post is not quite ready. It is a work in progress though. We'll just hope it is worth the wait!

Today is Little Women's Christmas. When the Irishman first moved out here he asked me what I was going to do for Little Women's Christmas. I had no idea what he was talking about. As I later learned, it is a big deal in Cork. (The part of Ireland where he is from.)

In Irish it is “Nollaig na mBan” and it is January 6, the Epiphany. It is really a girls' night. We are usually back to work by then, so the Irishman treats me either to dinner out or he makes me a nice dinner.

The Irishman's 'Mam' and sisters had dinner reservations for tonight. I got a text message from June wishing me a Happy Little Women's Christmas.

When we made the menu this week, we decided we needed to use up the chicken. I already had a meal in the crock pot. I felt like I needed to celebrate the day though, so I called Grandma Betty. After school today I met her for gelato. She loves these kinds to traditions, so I printed off an article about Little Women's Christmas for her to read.

I loved catching up and getting to spend time with my grandmother today. As it turns out, she had her own treats planned. To celebrate the start of Mardi Gras, she brought me some homemade Pralines. Oh, be still my heart!

No comments: