Sunday, September 7, 2008

The Happiest Place on Earth

We reached a milestone this year. My car is now older than the third grade students I teach. And we are a one-car couple. I literally drop Morgan off in the middle of the road on my way to work in the morning. He hops out at the light and walks another block to the office and I turn left to drive on to work. I could drive him in all the way, but he would rather sleep in an extra couple of minutes. I think we almost caused an accident a couple of Halloweens ago when Chewbacca hopped out of my car and continued walking into the office.

As a result of our milestone, I initially agreed to a weekend trip to Orlando only if we rented a car. (So as not to put any unnecessary strain on our precious Ford) In typical form, the guys did not look up the information about the car until the last minute and Morgan and I arrived at the rental company as they locked the doors. Right in our faces. Fun.

As a result I drove the two Irishmen to Orlando in our '99 Ford. Thankfully the car cooperated! We left rather late on Saturday night but had two MP3 players to entertain us. I was impressed with Robert's choice of music and embarrassed by my husbands ability to push the wrong button in the middle of a good song.

We also got to trust our "Instincts." Using the e-mail confirmation from the hotel, I was able to click one button to get GPS directions there. I was impressed. We are out of ink in the printer, so that was my best option! It served us well!

Now, while the Space Center is not my thing, I do love a trip to Disney. We ended up buying Park Hopper tickets. It was Robert's first trip to Disney World, so we decided to do the "Best of" tour. (He'd been to Euro Disney and Disneyland.) It was a busy day, but we had a GREAT time!

EPCOT: We decided to start here. First up was Mission: Space. Morgan and I first went on this ride before it had officially opened. I'd been on it since and thought they'd toned it down. You will notice in the pictures the Before and After shots. Notice the lack of color in Morgan's face AFTER the ride. And the souvenir barf bag he took with him "just in case."



We toured the countries and had lunch at my favorite little French Restaurant. We went there with the girls for my mom's birthday and it was just as good this time! Yum! We also went on Soarin'. Very cool!

MGM: We wanted to do the new Toy Story ride but the crowd was too much. We went to the Muppets Show (Morgan LOVES the Muppets!) and took our pictures with Mickey Mouse. Gotta love it!

Magic Kingdom: No trip to Disney is complete without a visit to the Magic Kingdom. We got there after dark but had time to do a number of rides: Haunted Mansion, Buzz Lightyear, Thunder Mountain. The Monsters Inc. Laugh Floor was also worthwhile. Morgan decided to pass on my FAVORITE ride, so Robert went on the Teacups with me. I do like those teacups!

We didn't get back to the hotel until about 1:30am. It was a long day, but how can you not enjoy a trip to the happiest place on Earth?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love Disney! Epcot is my favorite, I could spend a whole day there and more probably. I love Soarin' it's very neat. I haven't done the Mission Space ride though, I thought it might be a little too much for my motion sickness. A reason that I try to stay very far away from the teacups!

I was hoping that we would be able to visit when we were in Florida in July, but we were just too busy. I'm hoping we can go sometime soon, Rob's never been!