Monday, August 18, 2008

Fay, Fay Go Away

It is official. They have canceled the first day of school.

This morning was supposed to be "meet the teacher" day. I was putting on my nice "meet the parents" dress when the ALERT NOW message came through announcing the event was canceled. After a change of attire, I headed for school.

Thankfully my wonderful, helpful, never sarcastic husband came with me to school for a couple of hours yesterday evening. He moaned and complained the whole time lovingly and patiently watched Desperate Housewives on his cell phone put together my entire class set of Mountain Math. My hands would have numb for a week if I'd done that myself. With the loss of a day in my classroom getting ready, last night's prep becomes more important! Thank you honey!

I was actually kicked out of school today. The university closed at noon and at 12:10 they made an all-call announcement politely telling us that the building was being evacuated.

Before we left we had to cover the computers with plastic bags. Now I have done this for 4 other storms. (Most a much bigger threat than Fay) Seriously, if the storm is bad enough that there is water inside my classroom, do you really think that plastic garbage bags are going to make a difference? When they went through homes businesses after Katrina, were the plastic bag covered PCs spared? I'm not buying it.

Tomorrow was supposed to be the first day of school, but the university is closed so the lab school is closed. It doesn't look like the storm is going to be that bad here, but we have a day and a half off. I stopped at Publix on my way home from work. We'd planned to do our shopping tonight anyway so I thought I would use my time wisely. It was crowded, but not "the end is near" busy like it has been for past storms. After Wilma, Morgan said he felt like he was in communist Russia the way things were being snatched up at the store.

Meanwhile, Robert is due to arrive at 10pm tonight. We shall see if the weather holds out for him. Right now it is just a rain event. Boy is it WET!

The Irishman just got home. He had to work an extra couple of hours more than me. (And I've kindly let him know it!) All this rain makes me want to take a nap. I guess I don't have anything better to do!

No comments: